Wednesday, May 9, 2007

14 April: Dinner with Friends

We finally had Uli and Markus over to our house for dinner tonight. I had agonized over what to cook, finally settling on chicken and basil roulades with mustard sauce, scalloped potatoes, fresh asparagus, and tomato and mozzarella salad. I decorated with two dozen tulips that I bought at Neukauf for the low, low price of 8 Euro (I recall spending $8 for half a dozen tulips in the States!). Uli and Markus arrived promptly at 6:30, so apparently the directions I sent them (in German) made sense. We served Prosecco and snacks out on the balcony, as it was quite warm, but the table out there is too small to fit four comfortably, so we had dinner inside. I managed to juggle the final meal preparations quite well and didn’t burn anything up (much as I like to cook, I hardly ever entertain, so completing multiple dishes all at the same time is still a major challenge). Uli brought homemade apple strudel with vanilla sauce for dessert. After dinner we showed them a selection of our Africa pictures, as they are planning a trip to South Africa this summer. Once again we managed to get through the whole evening in German.

No comments: